Monday, September 29, 2008

West Virginia

Well, I expected to pass through West Virginia's "neck". It's about 10-15 miles across from Ohio to Pennsylvania but we were a tad bit ahead of my tentative schedule, were tired of driving and as we were crossing West Va., there was a Comfort Inn with a Cracker Barrel nearby. How perfect is that? This morning's drive along the Ohio River was a tad disappointing as there was a fog in the air. Nothing to restrict driving but did restrict viewing :-( About 11 it cleared up. The color of the foliage is slowly getting better although I'm enjoying all of it. There is a vine that hangs from trees that is a fairly vibrant red and some red plants along the way and some purple. Those are the colors that leap out at me! We drove through the Wayne National Forest and Ben took our first and so far only pictures of the Symmes River. Was a nice little picturesque setting.....and a chance to stretch our legs. We saw some more tobacco plants and it looks like people grow, dry and "roll" their own cigarettes around here. It's always interesting to me to see the different types of housing in different states. Along the Ohio River we passed some HUGE plants - stacks looked like nuclear to Ben and me but what do we know? Passed a pumpkin patch with pumpkins still on the vine!! :-) Oh yes, and the most unusual site was a large yard with three crosses and shrubs carefully trimmed and shaped into the letters J E S U S
While planning the trip I read about a side route with several covered bridges so I included it in our trip. Just a little loop off our main trek. I must admit it was a very nice drive and we saw a lot of beautiful foliage but covered bridges? Not a one. When I get home I'm finding that book and contacting them!!

No comments: